Sourdough bread not only tastes good, but it is also healthy. Eric and Denyse at Breadtopia.com have written about some of the reasons why sourdough bread is so healthy.
- The sourdough starter contains organic yeasts and bacteria not present in commercial bakers’ yeast. This makes the bread easier to digest and nutrients easier to absorb.
- Sourdough is a 68 on the gylcemic index as opposed to normal breads which are 100. Low glycemic foods are prevalent in societies which have lower rates of disease.
- The sourdough fermentation process consumes carbohydrates and converts them to lactic acid. This keeps blood sugar levels from fluctuating.
- The sourdough process makes the nutrients and minerals in whole grains easier to absorb.
- Sourdough bread contains B-complex vitamins such as biotin.
There is a wealth of information available on Breadtopia.com. Go over and visit them as well.